CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS (gluten-free!)
PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 1½ HOURS
MAKES: 12 SERVINGS
1 3-4 lb chicken
2 cups carrots, sliced
2 cups celery, sliced
2 cups onion, diced
2 t salt
½ t pepper
1 t dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1½ cups Budget Mix® All-Purpose Gluten-free Baking Mix
½ t dried thyme
½ t dried parsley
1¼ cups milk
1. For the soup, place chicken in a large stockpot. Add enough cold water to cover. Add carrots, celery, onions, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour, or until chicken is tender.
2. Remove chicken from pot. Skin and bone the chicken, leaving meat in large pieces. Add chicken back to soup.
3. Discard bay leaves. Skim as much fat as possible from the surface of the soup. Bring to a boil.
4. For the dumplings, combine Budget Mix, thyme, and parsley.
5. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and milk together. Add to the dry mixture and stir well. Add additional milk until dough is moist and sticky.
6. Drop spoonfuls of the dough into hot broth. Reduce heat to medium. Cover and let cook for 10 minutes without lifting the lid.
For the soup, place a 3-4 pound chicken in a large stockpot.
Add enough cold water to cover.
Add 2 cups sliced carrots.
Add 2 cups sliced celery and 2 cups diced onions.
Add 2 t salt.
Add ½ t pepper.
Add 1 t dried thyme.
Add 2 bay leaves.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour, or until chicken is tender.
Remove chicken from pot.
Skin and bone the chicken, leaving meat in large pieces.
Add chicken back to the soup.
Discard bay leaves.
Skim as much fat as possible from the surface of the soup.
Bring to a boil.
For the dumplings, add 1½ cups of Budget Mix® All-Purpose Gluten-free Baking Mix to a medium bowl.
Add ½ t dried thyme and ½ t dried parsley.
Stir to combine.
Add 2 eggs to a small bowl.
Pour in 1¼ cups milk.
Whisk to combine.
Add milk and egg mixture to the dry mixture.
Stir to combine.
Drop spoonfuls of the dough into hot broth. Reduce heat to medium.
Cover and let cook for 10 minutes without lifting the lid.
This recipe looks so yummy. I love chicken and dumplings and with fall arriving tomorrow, it looks like the perfect dinner menu one night this weekend. I have used your baking mix and love how it works. I should try the gluten free just because I can!
This looks so good! I want to make it this weekend. Do you have a printer friendly version of the recipe?
The simple numbered directions at the top of the page are there so you may copy and paste them into a word document and print them off. If you want the pictures as well, the way I am able to do it (I am using Firefox on Windows 7) is by 1. Selecting all of the text and pictures by clicking and dragging the mouse from the content you want at top of the page to the bottom. 2. Then, drag all of the selected contents over to a blank Word document. 3. Print the document. Hope this helps! -ace
I’m going to try this recipe, it looks delicious! Thanks for the detailed instructions & fabulous pictures too.
Just wanted to let you know that I made a huge (crab~like pot sized) batch of your soup & it is delicious! I cooked this soup over the w/e & we are still eating it for super each night. MaryJane your pictures were truly the selling point for me & hubby as I showed him this thread before I decided to use this recipe. When my husband looked at your C&D soup pictures he had a wonderful expression of anticipation & delight in his face & that’s when I knew I had to make this soup. He really likes it & so do I; thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us as I’m pretty sure I’ll be preparing it again soon…maybe with turkey leftovers next time:-)