PLUM COFFEE CAKE
PREP TIME: 45 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 45 MINUTES
MAKES: 9 SERVINGS
1½ lbs Italian plums, peeled, pitted and cut into 1” pieces (about 2½ cups finished)
1/3 cup sugar
2 t cornstarch
6 T butter, softened
½ cup sugar
1½ cups flour
½ t baking powder
¼ t baking soda
½ t salt
2/3 cup buttermilk
½ t vanilla
2 T butter, melted
¼ cup oats
¼ cup flour
¼ cup sugar
½ t cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a small bowl, combine plums, sugar, and cornstarch. Set aside.
2. For the cake, cream butter and sugar together in a medium bowl. Mix in egg.
3. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour vanilla into the buttermilk.
4. Begin alternating adding the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
5. Lightly butter an 8”x8” baking dish and pour in cake batter. Top with the plum filling.
6. For the crumb topping, combine melted butter, oats, flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Spread evenly over the plums.
7. Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Gather ingredients and preheat oven to 350°F.
For the fruit filling, peel 1½ lbs of Italian plums.
Remove pits and cut into 1” pieces. You should have about 2½ cups of finished plums.
Add 1/3 cup of sugar.
Add 2 t of cornstarch.
Stir to combine and set aside.
For the cake, Add 6 T of softened butter to a medium bowl. Add ½ cup of sugar.
Cream butter and sugar together using a hand mixer. Add 1 egg and mix in.
Add 1½ cups of flour to a small bowl. Add ½ t of baking powder. Add ¼ t of baking soda. Add ½ t salt. Stir to combine.
Add ½ t of vanilla to 2/3 cup of buttermilk.
Begin alternating adding the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter mixture.
Continue until both mixtures are gone, ending with the flour mixture.
Lightly butter an 8”x8” baking pan.
Pour cake batter into the pan.
Pour the plum filling over the cake.
For the crumb topping, combine 2 T of melted butter, ¼ cup of oats, ¼ cup of flour, ¼ cup of sugar, and ½ t of cinnamon.
Spread evenly over the plums.
Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. (We used a cookie cutter to serve ours in rounds.)