Welcome New Sisters! (click for current roster)
Merit Badge Awardees (click for latest awards)
My featured Merit Badge Awardee of the Week is … Teresa Roberson!
Teresa Roberson (carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Action Merit Badge!
“I am disgusted with the litter strewn on the highways in my neighborhood and in my yard. So, I researched the “litter” issue in my community.
Litter remains a problem in rural South Carolina. The South Carolina Dept. of Health and Environmental Control heads both Palmetto Pride and Keep SC Beautiful, affiliates of the national Keep America Beautiful and the Adopt-a-Highway program. In my county, The Walterboro Chamber of Commerce organizes the Keep Colleton Beautiful. DHEC controls the Adopt-a-Highway program.
In partnership with a variety of local organizations and agencies, the objectives of Keep Colleton Beautiful are to:
• Conduct continuing education programs regarding litter, recycling, and the proper handling of solid waste in Colleton County.
• Develop and enhance programs that will result in the sustained reduction of litter and graffiti and increase the use of recycling in Colleton County.
• Encourage stricter code enforcement regarding litter and dumping, and review and recommend, where appropriate, legislative change regarding environmental ordinances in Colleton County.
• Encourage the placing, planting, and preservation of trees, flowers, shrubs, and objects of ornamentation in Colleton County.
• Maintain certification with the national Keep America Beautiful organization.
• Solicit and accept donations and appropriations of money, services, products, property and facilities for expenditures and use by KCB for accomplishment of objectives.
• Make an annual report to the Colleton County Council.
• Cooperate and work with other County departments, agencies, and groups to carry out the general purposes of the Commission.
Keep Colleton Beautiful organizes and promotes the Great American Cleanup, annually in April.
Until the day of the Great American Cleanup in April, I will keep my roadside clean and document the amount of litter I retrieve from my area and the time I volunteer. I will recycle the items from the litter I collect. After speaking with the Chamber’s office, I plan to ask to become a member of their Keep Colleton Beautiful board next year.”
Congrats Teresa, you are doing a great job and making the world and your neighborhood a better place to live.Im very impressed with youtr political action.
Wonderful job, Teresa!! You are going to make a big difference in your community and hopefully inspire others to do their part as well. Thank-you for taking on this work in your community!