The adorable, always humorous MBA Jane is my way of honoring our Sisterhood Merit Badge program, now with 6,487 dues-paying members who have earned an amazing number of merit badges so far—9,234 total! Take it away, MBA Jane!!! MJ
Wondering who I am? I’m Merit Badge Awardee Jane (MBA Jane for short). In my former life …
For this week’s Farm Kitchen/Get It Together Intermediate Level Merit Badge, I got to start with one of my favorite things to do:
Making a list.
I heart lists. Sometimes I make lists about making lists. Or about how much I love lists, numerically or alphabetically.
photo by Adam Diaz via Wikimedia Commons
I sense your confusion and raised eyebrows from here. Let me explain:
- Make a list for DIY rainy-day projects
- Make a list for veggie shopping
- Make a list for camping destinations
- Make a list for prioritizing your lists
Etc, etc. You get the drift.
Anyway, I love lists because I love order and peace and the sense of accomplishing something, and also because I really have a thing for bullet points. They rock my world, chickadees.
So, my list today was how to have a working kitchen. At first glance, when I read that title, I pictured some sort of robotic, maid-and-butler-occupied, steampunk kinda thing, but I was making things more complicated than they needed to be (control your surprise). A working kitchen, my girls, is …
Well, I suppose it’s a bit different for every woman, isn’t it? For example, my friend, Midge, has triplets. Her working kitchen is likely going to include easy-to-clean, wipe-down-able, child-height, types of things. My gramma, Barbie? Her working kitchen would include a high-quality blender for Daiquiri Night when her girlfriends come over for Bunco, and the oven is only for decoration (she has a crush on the pizza delivery man).
photo by Bradross63 via Wikimedia Commons
For myself, now, a working kitchen is going to include some real key items, and they aren’t necessarily the same key items I would have included a mere few years ago. I am a changed woman, you see … and I no longer have a need for a microwaveable egg cooker, a touchless paper-towel dispenser, a hot-dog scorer, an automatic pancake maker, a corn kerneler, and a few other things that make ya go, whaaa?
Oh, and possibly three different makes of salad spinners.
Ahem. How embarrassing.
Anyway, I sent all my priceless artifacts weird inventions to my local thrift shop and got busy making my Dream Working Kitchen List.
MBA Jane’s Must-haves for a Working Kitchen:
- A multi-level baking rack. How neato is this for my Annual Home-baked Pizza Cook Off?
- A good quality mixer (pizza dough doesn’t make itself, peeps). Maybe a royal blue KitchenAid … or a bright red … or a lime green … or a pumpkin-orange … so many choices, so little counter space …
photo by g2boojum via Wikimedia Commons
- My apron collection and a lovely place to hang/display them.
- Good-quality kitchen shears for slicing me some chives (mmm, baked potatoes …).
- A French press and a tea kettle.
- A crockpot for long winter days (or conversely, long summer nights; I like to plug mine in on the porch when it’s just too darn hot to have anything warm in the house).
- Good knives. I only need two really: a butcher knife and a bread knife. I keep them outside of a drawer to avoid nicks and cuts when searching, and instead keep them in a cute letter holder.
- And the most important, I gotta have it, no holds barred, I will not be budged from ordering this right now this very second.
I’m sure the foodies out there agree with me. It’s just the bare necessities, really!