BEEF & TOMATOES
PREP TIME: 30 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 55-60 MINUTES
MAKES: 4 SERVINGS
1 T dark brown sugar
¾ t salt
¼ t pepper
2 lbs chuck roast
3 T butter, divided
4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
12 sage leaves, minced
1 cup tomato juice
½ cup red wine
2 yellow onions, sliced
2 zucchinis, sliced ¼″ thick
4 Roma tomatoes, blanched, peeled, and sliced
1. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Rub blend onto the roast. Melt 1 T of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sage; reserve a couple pinches of sage for garnish.
2. Place roast in skillet and cook on medium-high for 4 minutes, flip over, and cook for another 4 minutes. Reduce heat to low and pour in tomato juice and wine. Cover and simmer for 35 minutes.
3. After about 20 minutes, melt the remaining 2 T of butter in another large skillet over medium heat, add onions and zucchini, and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Pour onions and zucchini into the pan with the roast, and add the tomatoes. Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let roast rest for about 10 minutes.
5. Thinly slice roast and serve with the pan juices and vegetables. Garnish with reserved sage.
Add 1 T dark brown sugar, ¾ t salt, and ¼ t pepper to a small bowl.
Combine ingredients and rub on a 2 lb chuck roast.
Melt 1 T of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add 4 cloves of peeled and minced garlic to the pan.
Add 12 leaves of minced sage to the pan (reserve a little sage for garnish).
Add the roast to the pan and cook over medium-high heat for 4 minutes.
Flip the roast over and cook for another 4 minutes.
Reduce heat to low and pour in 1 cup tomato juice.
Pour in ½ cup red wine.
Cover and simmer for 35 minutes.
Meanwhile, blanch, peel, and slice 4 Roma tomatoes.
Add tomatoes to boiling water for 40 seconds.
Remove and immediately place into ice water.
Remove tops with a tomato corer.
Peel off skins and slice.
Thinly slice 2 yellow onions.
Slice 2 zucchinis in ¼″ slices.
Melt 2 T butter in another large skillet over medium heat.
Add the 2 sliced onions.
Add the 2 sliced zucchinis.
Cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add onions and zucchini into the skillet with the roast.
Add the tomatoes.
Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and let roast rest for about 10 minutes. Thinly slice roast and serve with the pan juices and vegetables. Garnish with reserved sage.
This recipe looks so simple and delicious! I have one prolific Roma tomato plant in my tiny garden and the tomatoes have all ripened at the same time! I copied the link to the MJF Connection below to show you what I did with some of them. But more are ripened this week and I think this recipe will be one delicious solution for using some more up.
I think I might have to can the rest but then, they will be at the ready for next January when this recipe will be greatly enjoyed again!