Okay, so you saw this pic of Granny Smith apples last week and here it is again. That’s because I’ve come up with yet another way to eat them. This time, it’s apple crisp but with a twist. Ever tried a bottom crust sweetened with molasses? Surprisingly good, actually VERY!
GLUTEN-FREE APPLE CRISP
PREP TIME: 40 MINUTES
BAKE TIME: 1 HOUR 5 MINUTES
MAKES: 9 SERVINGS
1 cup organic white rice flour, Bob’s Red Mill (can substitute another flour)
¼ cup powdered sugar
¼ t salt
6 T butter, cold
1 T molasses
2 lbs Granny Smith apples
½ cup sugar
1 t cinnamon
¼ t nutmeg
1 T cornstarch
juice of 1 lemon
¾ cup organic white rice flour, Bob’s Red Mill (can substitute another flour)
½ cup brown sugar
5 T butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine rice flour, powdered sugar, and salt.
3. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Mix in molasses, and press mixture into the bottom of an 8”x8” casserole dish.
5. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, peel the apples and cut into ½” cubes.
7. Mix in sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Set mixture aside until the crust is finished baking.
8. In a small bowl, add rice flour and brown sugar. Pour in melted butter and combine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
9. Pour the apple filling over the pre-baked crust, then top with the prepared filling. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. Serve with whipped cream.
In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup of rice flour, ¼ cup of powdered sugar.
Then add ¼ teaspoon of salt.
Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Mix in molasses.
Press the crust mixture into the bottom of an 8”x8” casserole dish.
Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
Peel 2lb of Granny Smith apples.
Cut the apples into ½” cubes.
Put the sliced apples in a bowl and gather the rest of your ingredients. You will need ½ cup sugar, 1 t cinnamon, ¼ t nutmeg, 1 T cornstarch, and the juice of 1 lemon.
Mix in ½ cup of sugar.
Mix in 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
Mix in ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg.
Mix in 1 tablespoon of cornstarch.
Mix in lemon juice.
Stir to combine. Then, set mixture aside until the crust is finished baking.
Melt 5 tablespoons of butter for the topping.
In a small bowl, add ¾ cup of organic white rice flour, (try Bob’s Red Mill) and ½ cup of brown sugar.
Pour in melted butter and combine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Pour the apple filling over the pre-baked crust.
Top with the prepared filling.
Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
Serve with whipped cream …
… and a dash of lemon zest
I love the photo! You can just about smell the tannic scent of the leaves and the simple enchanting perfume of the apples. Lovely!!
I do love this recipe, but will have to mess around with it a bit to make it edible for my sweetie Drew, due to his being diabetic. But I am having small groups of friends over during the holidays and this would be wonderful to serve up with hot cider, tea and coffee! I’m simply weak in the knees for apples =)
Pingback: Going Green Merit Badge, Expert Level | Raising Jane Journal
How did you know I just came home from Green Bluff with some fresh baking apples?! Oh boy, oh boy, the house is going to smell good and the tummy is going to feel good 😀
Perfect for the last few apples I have left!